Search Our Site:

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Storyville

I have had an experience that was too good not to share with my fellow coffee lovers… Storyville. It’s not a place, well, not physically. In a sense though, if you can imagine yourself retreating to a place where your worries become hazy and hard to recall, and there is a brand new day ahead that you’re anxious to start because its prospects seem to have endless possibility, then that would be Storyville. Storyville may seem like a place when you experience it, but it is in fact coffee- amazing coffee at that!

A company based out of Seattle, Washington has dedicated itself not only to providing seekers with an unforgettable cup of coffee, but also ensuring that they have the best experience possible with each sip they enjoy. They commit their time and resources to quality, presentation, and education. Education, really? Yes, when you purchase Storyville coffee, it comes complete with a short DVD course which teaches you how to get the most out of every freshly brewed bean.

When I prepared my first cup of pressed Storyville coffee, I knew it was going to be a pleasant experience. After all, this coffee had to be pretty darn good if the company only felt the need to make one single roast: “Prologue” it was called- a great name for the entity that would help to ring in a new day. “Epilogue,” their decaf roast would come later- before bed. When I opened the half pound bag of coffee roasted only days before it reached my door, I could smell the aroma of a perfectly selected and roasted batch of beans. It had a slightly sweet and incredibly rich smell.
I began to boil my water, and just as the little bubbles started bouncing off the bottom of the pot did I start to grind my beans. Immediately after they went into the press, I slowly poured the steaming water over the aromatic grind. It seemed like forever waiting the carefully calculated 4 minute period before pressing the coffee. When the timer indicated the end of the exaggerated waiting period, I smiled at my husband and I knew we were in for a wonderful treat.
The coffee was the perfect burnt caramel color as I poured it into the ceramic mugs. I wanted to take my time and dive in all at once.
I took my first sip slowly, being careful to notice the details that brought out the character in my first cup of Storyville. I think the word that first came to my mind was, “prefect.” The coffee had no bitterness, with just a hint of acidity- the right amount to give it that bright snappiness without the sour taste. I continued tasting…”Is that plum? And…hints of dark chocolate…” The combined aroma and taste had a rich, bold characteristic with a dark and delicate fruity undertone. It’s not often that I am able to recognize the character of my coffee so easily, but here I was after the first sip wrapped up in the warm goodness that was Storyville. I enjoyed each sip right to the last drop and I must say, it had me captivated the entire time. You can’t find coffee like this just anywhere. It’s one thing to satisfy your craving for a good cup o’joe, but this? This was more than a good cup of coffee; this was an experience, one that left you with an unexplained sense of happiness and confidence. This is what I picture when I say that I need coffee to start my day- not because I need a jolt of caffeine, or a placebo effect to get me going, but a “Prologue” to my day, one that excites, refreshes and encourages me. One that says, “Hello day, what do you have in store for me?"

Storyville Coffee

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meg,

    Great write up! and what a great coffee :)

    Love,
    -Helen

    ReplyDelete