Search Our Site:

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Coffee & Cholesterol?

A good friend of mine recently approached me with a question about coffee and the effect it has on one’s cholesterol. As far as I knew, most of the health effects coffee had were positive ones. It has been shown to prevent heart disease, it has a good amount of antioxidants in it, and most importantly it helps with happiness – who doesn’t love a good cup of coffee?
Her mother suffers from high cholesterol and was told that the French press coffee she loved may be hurting her more than she realized. Supposedly, the oils (which do not contain any fat) in the unfiltered coffee were pretty bad for those with high cholesterol. I did a little digging and reading up on the subject and the most consistent answer I found was that, sadly, the French press has some pretty negative effects when it comes to cholesterol levels. If you have no problem with your cholesterol to begin with, it's practically harmless (or at least not bad enough to give it up) but for those with health issues, it can be dangerous. Those in the group studies who drank French press coffee had significant increases on their cholesterol levels, while those who drank coffee that was filtered in an auto drip machine had almost no change in their cholesterol levels at all!
Unfortunately, as any French press fan would know, the quality of taste from filtered coffee hardly compares to the rich fullness of pressed coffee. Fortunately, I was able to offer a solution that could serve as a good compromise – filtered coffee that still had a full and rich flavor. There is a brewing method called the Chemex that makes a very flavorful coffee. It's a drip process, but the filters are a little different - and I suggest using the organic paper filters which doesn't add traces of chemicals or bleach to the brewed coffee.

You can read all about the Chemex here:
http://www.coffee-illuminated.com/chemex-coffee-maker.html

The taste is very comparable to the French press, but it does use a filtering method. An added bonus is that it looks pretty and is perfect for entertaining. In my opinion, it's easier to clean too!
If you have high cholesterol and you’re searching for a brewing method that doesn’t compromise on quality and taste – the Chemex may be just the solution for you!

4 comments:

  1. It good to know that coffee is not bad for cholesterol. Can you make same research on high blood pressure?
    Thanks,
    Arkadiy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am actually Natalija's mother, Terri, and I just had to post here and express my gratitude. Because of your blog and some hounding from my daughter, I did purchase a Chemex coffee maker and am very satisfied. I can't say I don't miss (a little) the "bite" of coffee out of the french press, but I truly enjoy the taste of my coffee from my Chemex. It is a wonderful alternative for me, and thanks to you and Nat, I don't have to worry that I am damaging my health further. Thank you so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri! I'm so happy you like the Chemex. I agree, nothing can fully replace the taste of the French Press - but the alternative is pretty good without the significant risk to your health.
    I remember when we visited you in MT - it was so good to meet you. :)
    Hope you are well and enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad to hear those facts about the cholesterol in French Press Coffee. Hopefully even those with high cholesterol can still enjoy a pressed cup every once in a while to keep getting that great flavor.

    ReplyDelete